Nearly there....

Monday, December 1, 2008

My Biggest Birthday Boy

Did you know that you turned 4 today? Four years old, it is honestly unbelievable that you are already so old. I won't say it just seems like yesterday, but maybe only a year ago that I held your tiny baby body in my arms. The story of your birth is one that is still remembered in the Labor and Delivery Ward where you were born. You are so special, you had to make one heck of an entrance! You most certainly did do just that!
You have always had this aura that is hard to describe, it surrounds you completely and always has. You are tender, empathetic, giving and very very animated! I have recently decided that you will be a wonderful actor. You love to play bits from movies you see and pretend you are characters. You do it so well too! Your artistic side has been blossoming lately and it makes my heart swell. You can make anything out of anything, you love to find shapes in the clouds and make intricate works with things only an artist could use. Your creativity is endless. You are always the first to rush to someone that might be sad or injured to be sure that they are okay. When Mommy's heart hurt so bad last year it broke even more because you were so concerned, you sat and cried with your arms wrapped around my neck telling ME it was going to be okay. A mere three years old, and you consoled your Mommy when she could not hide her hurt from you.
You offer up the tightest hugs at any given time, and never ever refuse a smooch. You have always puckered those lips out a mile to give a good kiss, since you were a little baby. Your eyes, those beautiful beautiful eyes, see the world differently than anyone else does. There is no denying that, just the way you look at things, the way you stare off in the distance, it seems you can see the whole world right in front of you. You have always been such a clown, you make me laugh every chance you get, and perform for the family when you think no one is looking. One of my greatest joys is watching, watching yourself in the mirror when you think no one sees. You are most definitely MY son, no doubt of that! Not only because you look so much like I did at that age -- but boy-ish of course! So many of your mannerisms, expressions and actions just remind me so much of me when I was able to be free.
You are, honestly, so much greater of a big brother than I could have ever expected. You are so proud of your baby brother, so protective and so loving. Of COURSE you guys fight, but you are supposed to. You fight less than you love and play together and that is what is important. You've stood up for him from day one, even though he can take you down already, you still don't hesitate for one moment to stand up for him, speak up for him or just give him a kiss and hug when he is afraid.
I dreamt of you.
I dreamt of hearing you cry, holding you against my chest and of staring at you. Just staring at you. The whole time I was pregnant with you, that is what I would day dream about. Just staring at you. I did plenty of that when you got here too. I love to watch you be a kid, I love to just LET you be a kid. I wish and hope that you only ever know the freedom of being yourself to your core. I hope that you appreciate and love the person you are and the person you are becoming. I hope that you never once question who you are, and if you do...that you can quickly find him again. You never cease to amaze me with how intelligent you are, how creative and just how simply beautiful you are inside and out. There are times that I look at you and cannot believe what I did that was so good, to get such an amazing son as you. I'm not sure how I deserved you, but I'm sure not going to question it much! I am thankful to no end, that I was blessed with you. Blessed with a healthy beautiful little boy who has a heart of gold, who is happy, helpful and loving.
This age is so wonderful, an age your Daddy and I have always looked forward to because you are such a big boy, you can tell us things all on your own. So the first time you randomly said, "Mommy, I love you". all on your own nearly had me in tears. The time I laid you in bed and you looked up at me with those enormous eyes and said, "Mommy, you're my BEST friend!" I will never ever forget that as long as I live. It was one of those moments that Mommy's look forward to and always hold on to.
I will admit I was pretty sad that this year, we were not surrounded by our family and friends on your special day. I was afraid that you would think it was not as special or important because they were not all here. However, you were so proud of it being your day, so proud of your "Birthday Boy" button you wore all day and so proud to be able to READ your name on your birthday cake. You never once got upset that it was just us four. You loved it. You loved your gifts and your cake and your ribs. Everything about you, you loved it so much you asked again when you went to bed, if we could have your birthday again tomorrow.
You are just happy to be with your family and have them making a bit more of a fuss over you...that's my boy!
We all love you so much, are so proud of you and so very blessed to have you in our lives.

I love you so much my little Monkey. No matter how OLD you get, I will never stop calling you that so get over it!
My wish for you, is for you to always know how very very loved you are by everyone.
EVERYONE.

Happy Birthday Sweetheart!



Here you are on your way to school sporting your birthday boy badge!
You got to take cupcakes to school, you requested chocolate so Mommy made you devil's food with triple chocolate icing! If we're going to have chocolate...why not go all the way?
You are such a big boy!
Your current favorite food is ribs! You silly boy, but you eat them like they are going out of style! So you, of course, had your favorite meal tonight!
We then had your chocolate birthday cake with red on it. Per your request. :) Someday Mommy will make a straight cake!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Atwood's said...

Sitting here in tears. What lovely letter to your big boy.

Such cute pictures. I LOVE the cake!!

Happy 4th birthday Kadester!

Unknown said...

Awww thanks!
It was a yummy cake too! :)