Nearly there....

Thursday, December 25, 2008

A beautiful moment I will never forget...

There will certainly be more posting for Christmas, much much to say, but...I'm in the middle of cooking, so it will have to wait.
However, I did take just a moment because there was this moment a short while ago. I think it made up for my feeling lonely and missing all of my people back home today. I'm certainly not ALONE by any measure, but talking to my sister yesterday, I really really wanted to be at home with everyone. We are there in spirit and they with us, so...hey what more can we ask for?

At any rate, I got this fantastic gift I've been dying for, but as usual won't spend the money on, so I'm in the kitchen enjoying my new iPod player thingie. So much easier to cook and be banished in exile to the steamy kitchen if there is music to dance and sing to. Yep, it's a hot sight me in my pj's still shaking my money maker to Eminem on Christmas day.

In walks my baby Cody, in his red trap door jammies sent over by Granny which I LOOOOVE. He asks to be held so I pick him up, he lays his head on my shoulder and melts into my chest, as I hear Norah Jones' "The Nearness of You" start lulling out of the iPod.
So we danced. We slow danced to every sweet word of that song, him hugging in tighter and tighter the whole way. Next I heard Etta James' "At Last" and we continued to dance through every wave of that timeless beautiful tune.
I can only remember a few times in my life, that my heart has welled up with so much genuine happiness. It brought tears to my closed eyes, a smile across my whole face as my baby of 2 snuggled into me as far as he could, just as if he were a newborn still, slow dancing with me on Christmas Day in my kitchen in England.
Cold and dreary outside, but warm and sunny on the inside.
It came, just as I stood in the kitchen, thinking of home and my Grandma's busy bustling house FULL of family members fighting over turkey and dumplins and at my Brother in laws house where the screeches of laughter from all the little ones, the thumps of their feet across the floor as they chased each other around and around and the relaxed chitter chatter of all the adults above the children, and of course... at least a few of us making fun of Shannon for wiping a hole in the counter again.
My baby boy came in, and reminded me, wherever we are together, even if it were in a snow storm in the wilderness somewhere, we're still home together.
It is one of those moments, that is now bottled up to savor and look back on when I need it. Likely when I'm at the end of my rope with him on the many occasions to come! ha!

More on our holiday festivities in a bit... seems everyone back home is just waking up, getting around, except a few that I know were up hours ago slaving away on all those yummy holiday treats.


Merry Christmas!

No comments: