Nearly there....

Saturday, August 16, 2008

sometimes i feel like i'm in a foreign country

I suppose that might be for good reason?
Today marked day 1 of me driving on the British roads. Not too bad. I asked Mike to ride quietly unless he was asked something because I noticed that when he was with me I did terribly but when I was alone (on base of course) I was alright. There are still a few areas that I question myself.
Overall, not too bad. I really see the need for an English car and the danger in driving an American car. Especially for someone like me who's about 6 feet off with depth perception.
We drove out to our soon to be home today and it looks like they've gotten just about everything done. Still some gardening work to do and it looked like some trim work.
It was so neat walking up around the back to find a large male peacock just chilling on the back patio.
I am so ready to be in our house!
We also met one of our next door neighbors and she was an absolute doll! She has lived in that subdivision for about a year and a half and said it is QUIET and so nice and they love it. Everyone knows everyone right there and she seemed very excited that all the houses except for one were filling up THIS weekend! Its going to be insane over there if there are shipments coming in for the other two families that are moving in on Friday as well. Can you imagine? Well, probably not since you've not actually SEEN the little area. SUbdivision is such a long thing to call it, I'll have to come up with something else. haha. Its not really even that. I don't suppose 8 houses can make up a whole subdivision can it?
Mike is out playing some poker this evening, I'm glad he is out meeting people. Ha, how long has it been since MIKE went out on a Saturday and I stayed home? Yes, awhile. Long while.
There is an antique fair in Newmarket tomorrow at the racetrack. I love that town, although I've heard a lot of people really don't, but the shopping was fantastic after going so long without even SEEING a single shop. Not that I went in a single one, but it was nice to know that they were there. That coupled with these enormous estates with horses littering the landscape, absolutely right up my alley. They juse use the wrong kind of saddles around here.
ANyway, we may swing out there and check it out. I'd like to find some thrift stores in the area. My thinking is that all of this modern furniture that I love so much is so very very common here, that no one really thinks much of it like I do and perhaps they might like some of our furniture. I'm hoping we can find someone with a large large bedroom that would like our gorgeous bedroom suite. Why?
Well, just as I suspected our bedroom (which it was the same in every home we've seen) is too small for our furniture. I don't even know that it will actually even fit in there, but if it does, there'll be no way to walk around it.
*sigh*
We'll see. I've got a lot of work ahead of me. Mike has a long weekend this coming week, so he'll be there for 4 days to get us going. I'm looking forward to having our bbq grill again, and the trampoline!
I won't admit the other thing I sort of kind of miss that I didn't really say to Mike earlier.
It'll be shipped along by his Mom in a couple more months. : I think I just miss having a dog in general, not THAT one. I'm sure of it.
I am so appreciative that this is such a dog friendly place. There are dog parks, dog beaches and ALL the beaches are dog friendly certain times of year, when I've called about homes and mention a pet, they get very reserved and ask what kind of dog. Now back home when I'd mention what kind of dog, it was rarely a good thing b/c they expected people to live with little yippy dogs only (ew). Well they get quiet and I tell them its a labrador and suddenly their tone changes and they often say, "OH GREAT!!!! Absolutely!".
So funny to me. They are so destructive at a young age, that's a dog as a landlord I'd have to pass on. ha! Granted, if its an older one, i'd know they were lazy as all get out and do nothing.
Oh man.

I hope everyone can stick with us for a bit longer. I promise there won't be all these boring posts with no photos forever. I'll have some other people to talk with soon enough and won't have to chat endlessly on here.

Sure do miss everyone!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Do you drive on the other side of the road on the base? I have never been on a base there in England, so was kind of surprised, did not think of that. That is my one fear about living in that country. I hated riding around with my sister...crazy! Good luck with the move in, hope everything makes it in one piece! By the way, today it stayed in the 70's and rained! YEAH!!!