Nearly there....

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Four Years of Bliss

Four years ago I fell madly in love with chubby cheeks and black hair. A warm bundle snuggled on my chest. The look of pride in my boy's face as he announced he was a big brother. The precious sweet smile he held only for this baby. Four years ago the whirlwind, otherwise known as Cody, blew into our lives and it's been nonstop ever since.
He is sparkly eyes, belly laughs, dimples, big giant cuddles with a pouty lip. He is pure energy until the second he runs out, and when he runs out...he's OUT. He is "w" instead of "r" and the most independent child I know. He's impatient, pushy, loud and determined. He is also shy to start with, a little over-sensitive and definitely a Mama's boy. He adores his big brother and will stand up for him in an instant.
He is obsessed with trains of every shape, size, sound and color. He asks every single night at bedtime if we can go to the train station the next day. Sometimes he asks a few more times through out the day. He loves the color blue, the sky is blue, therefore the sky is his.
He is wise beyond his few years and afraid of nothing but the dark and scary movies and some of the strange noises his brother makes. He is an avid lover of dogs. Any dogs at all, but preferrably big dogs. Oscar is his best friend and thankfully she is child-patient and tolerates his over-attention to her.
He wants to be an Air Force man when he grows up and "wok on eh-plane engines" just like Daddy does. He has kid sized ABU's that he wears ALL the time. His "wok clothes, because he is going to wok". :)
Sometimes he wants to be a cowboy, but usually, just an air force man. He's going to be the first man in the air force to work on the planes AND fly them. No need to do all the work and miss all the fun I suppose.

I've found that he creates deep friendships already. He's a fierce friend, who dearly loves others, but is not the least bit shy to let you know if he doesn't like you. He loves to have his picture taken, so long as he can see it immediately. I find he's quite fond of admiring himself in photos. :) He's quite the ladies man as well, but he seems completely oblivious to it, I can see him always being that way.
He is such a force and truly has no idea of his super powers yet, hopefully he won't figure it out for quite awhile yet. Once he does, there will certainly be no stopping him.

While my Mommy instincts still kick into overdrive if I ever see anyone look at him cross-eyed, I am comfortable in the knowledge that Cody will always be okay. He's been independent and alarmingly self-sufficient from much too early of an age, no matter how much we've tried to keep him from it. Just wishing for him to just be a KID, doesn't seem to flow with HIS idea of how life is. I just try to back off and let him be, he does ask for help on occasion but even then, he rarely actually wants it.
I've come to learn that even though he seems to not need us in the way most four year olds might need their parents, he does need us in his own way. He needs to know we're here, we have his back and of course, that we'll feed him and keep him well stocked on orange yogurt. ;)
He is individual and unique. Far different than any other four year old I've ever met. I have to remind myself, OFTEN, that he is ONLY four and barely at that. I often find myself trying to toss "baby" toys that are quite age appropriate even beyond Kade's age, and then remind myself that Co is only four. Sure he still doesn't play with it, but I can't help but keep it JUST in case he wants it. I don't try to hold them back, but I do fear them growing up too fast.
Aren't four year olds supposed to still love Sesame Street and blocks and toys that sing baby songs? Not know the steps move for move to Footloose, explain the entire basis of Ben 10 and built a full scale model of NASA out of blocks. Well...kids like any other would bore me to tears anyway wouldn't they? ;)
My Cody. He got me over the anger of how Kade was born. He made me realize that life, and giving life, is something far greater than ME. It is so much bigger and so much more important than any ideals I had of what life should be like. He has made me question my abilities as a mother on many occasions, but he has also reminded me what it is all about. He's pushed me to the edge and then been right there to show me exactly why I would never go over.
I used to think being a parent was about what "we" as adults wanted. If we wanted a baby to cuddle and nurture into adulthood. If we wanted to spend our days watching the same mind-numbing kid shows over and over and over and over and suffer through yet another playdate. That has nothing to do with it at all. I truly see now, that being a parent, really is about shaping the future. We are here for them, not them for US. We grew up to adults to make them, to provide for them, to mold them. I look at my children and I always feel that their destiny is written. It is simply my job to make sure they know how loved they are, keep them safe and be their rock when they need it. Whatever they have been put on this earth for, I must make sure they fulfill it no matter how big or small it may seem, it is my job. It is my purpose in life. Whatever I thought life was for previously was but a laugh.
I wonder if they know what they are here for. Did I know back then? Did I know but forget?
Whatever it is, I have no doubt, this boy will make it happen one way or another.

No comments: