Nearly there....

Monday, November 9, 2009

Favor - I really don't think I ask for those often...do I?

So here I am again. I know, it's mind boggling isn't it?
Well, I am on at the moment to ask for something. I don't think I really ask for help often, and well it's not something that would really put anyone out at all I don't think.
If you might possibly remember, from my photog-blog, last summer JUST before we came over here one of my best friends found out her little girl had brain cancer. Emma is the same age as Kade, her birthday in a couple of days, she'll be five. She had brain surgery last year, she did 6 weeks of radiation where she had to go under general anesthesia every single day for treatment. She had to re-learn how to do pretty much EVERYTHING again, as the surgery messed up her fine motor skills etc... I'm talking about walking, talking, eating...the whole nine yards. She then had a follow up surgery to correct some damage done to her eye from the surgery. All of her scans came back clear.
She was vibrant, healthy and back to her old self. Back in dance, soccer, running and playing and laughing and being 4 years old.
She had another scan in September and much to everyone's shock, it was back. It was very small, this has been a slow growing, non-aggressive tumor all along. They had some time and were going to do another scan in November and were looking at other treatment options. So, she went in for her scan the other day...it's grown 10x its size since September and is now causing mild hydroencephalous due to putting pressure on the spinal cord. They MUST do surgery immediately.
Last time they could not get ALL of the tumor because it was attached to her spinal cord, for fear of the irreversible damage it could do they left 1% of it there and would kill that off with the radiation. This time, they --so far as I am aware, it may have changed today-- have to take all of it.
They got the results of the scan on Saturday, they had an appt today with the neuro-surgeon and oncologist and were told they would probably admit her on Tuesday and do surgery on Wednesday. I've just learned that...they won't even be waiting THAT long. Surgery is tomorrow.
The thought of what all is going on with them makes me physically ill. This is such a beautiful little girl, she and Kade were buds instantly. The family also has a younger girl, just a smidge younger than Cody who is just as precious.
So that in itself really gets to you, but there's even more...Em's Mom is pregnant and due any day now. Yes...that is right. I believe she will be able to have the baby at a hospital adjacent to where Em is having her surgery, so that will be good shoud little boy decide to come now, let us hope he will hang out another week or two where it's all nice and comfy.
I cannot, in all honesty, comprehend being in their shoes right now. It's extremely difficult now, as it was last year, not to BE there for this. Whatever I could do...
At any rate, my purpose is this, I ask simply that if you pray to please pray. If you meditate, or send good vibes, dole out karma...really, anything you've got, please I ask that you include this family. That is all she has asked for from anyone is prayer for the doctors to be steady handed and to find a miracle, for a speedy recovery for Emma and as little damage as possible.
So, please, as you say your bedtime prayers, or head off to church or are just thinking about sending good thoughts, please think of the Maltbie family this evening and tomorrow and anytime beyond that too of course. ;)
It is also a cause for me to stop short when I get frustrated with my boys for acting wild and crazy. I'm just so damn thankful that they can and it hurts so much at the same time knowing that Emma won't be able to fight with her sister for awhile again.
(If you didn't happen to notice it, and I'm not asking but if there were something more you wanted to do, there's a link up to the top left hand side here to help out if you wish. Keep in mind, that's just there to be there, I'm not here asking for money, just for prayers lots and lots of heartfelt prayers). 

I love you guys so much and wish there was something I could do and I hope you will let me know if there is anything at all that comes to mind. You can call at ANY time, or email and let me know you are calling or something!

No comments: