Nearly there....

Monday, July 21, 2008

we can count the hours now...

We are now out of our house and staying in a closet with two rooms. I was pretty surprised, why I am not sure, by the very small size of our room for 4 people. Basically the bed in the bedroom is simply NOT large enough for me and Mike. So, we are now sleeping on a pull out couch bed and gave the kids the bedroom. Its so small in there that if you roll over to fast and don't keep your arms tucked in, you'll smack the wall.
yeah.
Hey though, at least its a roof and its got AC and there is a place to sleep, right?

Today we had a little party for the boys with our closest people at "Gwanny's house". A fun pool party early birthday for the kiddos. We had hot dogs and chips and cake and just a good ole time. ALL the kids are probably sleeping just as good as Kade and Cody are right now, they played really really hard. I loved it. I loved seeing them all in one place, playing and laughing and smiling and just playing. I loved seeing our family and friends all sitting together visiting and just being there to spend time with us. Granted, its difficult to ever get real time with anyone at a party, but I tried.
Other than some stickers and one bee sting, everything went perfect. I have one very happy little boy who found out he can "swim" by himself (with the help of 50 thousand floaties of course) and one boy that absolutely MUST be in the most in depth of swimming lessons ever because Mr. Cody will bail off the side of the pool with or without your help, or go down the slide, or just take off like he can indeed swim like a fish. Very scary.
So, other than your general inability to divide your attention to perfection among all of your guests at a social function, I was unagle to keep my eyes off of Cody too. He's entirely too brave.

As it gets down to the wire, emotions are really getting crazy everywhere. I do okay until someone else cries, then I cry and tell them to cut it out. I'm not even a peson that doesn't like to hide emotion, but I think its the only way I can keep it together. After later late one night bawling to Mike for 2 hours solid, I can't stand the thought of risking doing that in front of others. Big nasty snotty slobbering blubbery mess. Ewwww....
I won't be wearing any make up when we head out on Wednesday that is for sure.

The reality hits at the strangest of times. I spend some time watching others watch the boys play and interact, then I see that glint of sadness on their faces. I do my best to try to cheer them up. I am touched though, that everyone is gonna miss us. We're sure going to miss them all a ton!
I know that many folks are upset and feel that the boys won't remember them. They will, ther is no WAY, regardless of their ages, that they will forget anyone! Now, some of you might have to fess up a photo via email every once in awhile, and we'll be prepared for lots of webcamming. The boys will have their own computer before too long, so I'll be sure to set them up with one on their computer also.
We'll keep up with our blog, we'll talk about all the mundane things that go on day to day. You won't miss a thing. You all will have to share things such as that as well, so that we can be as involved as we possibly can from over there, but also so that we can share all of this info with the boys.

Anyway, the reality of it is still so mixed. I hate that people are hurting, I hate that they are sad. I hate that they think that we or our kids would forget them. That we/they would not still love them just as much, or know them just as much. We certainly won't change any of that and the boys would never. Sure I'm sure it will take them a short bit to get into the swing of things when we do come home, but not long. They LOVE their family and friends so so so much, they talk about you all way more than you can imagine. I am asked to draw a picture of some of the most random people by Kade so, what else would that tell me but he loves everyone and thinks of y'all. That makes me happy. What makes me sad is that y'all are all some pretty funky looking stick people. My art skills have flown out the window with age or children or something.... gone. Can't even draw a straight line to save my life.
I hope that everyone will be able to look beyond their hurting hearts, and just try very hard to feel happy. Happy to know that we are going to see some things and do things that we would have NEVER gotten to do otherwise. Certainly not in this magnitude where we are not tourists but members of the community. Exposing the boys to other cultures and places and just getting to do new things is something that is very important to Mike and I. So I hope that everyone can try to just enjoy the last couple of days with us and the boys. Let them get to enjoy a bit of time with you all before we go,and you soak up as much of them as you can.
You'll all be glad later on. :) I promise.
So, I know it is sad, but please know that we are very excited as well. We are sad, but so excited. So excited, but so so sad.

Trying to squeeze everyone and everything in at the last minute its getting tough. We have just decided that we need to write out a schedule unfortunately. :( I guess its just a learning experience and there's no way you could know much about this type of move, without actually doing it. It just sucks to find out things the hard way int his type of situation. I need another week at least. I could totally feel fine leaving if I just had one more week to spend with people. However, we jsut don't have that option, so off we go. Doing the best we can.
I hope no one takes it personally if for whatever reason we cannot spend time with you before we go. We've tried please know we've really really tried. Apparently this moving overseas with 2 small children and only 3.5 months notice is a little more time consuming than you might think.

Thanks to everyone that came today, we thoroughly enjoyed the time we got to spend with you guys. We really really enjoyed ourselves. Thanks so much to Steph and fam for taking the boys off our hands so we could get a quiet dinner and do some morning errands before their party. Thanks so much to Shannon and Pop for hosting our little party, we loved it.

Won't everyone shoot me when they learn what I forgot AGAIN???? Why on earth do I have SUCH an issue remembering ice cream with cake? So this time I actually DID remember to buy some, some really GOOD ice cream too. My hard to find absolute favorite that I won't have for a long long time... Blue Bell Triple Chocolate. I forgot. Some Poteet Strawberry ice cream and some yummy vanilla. Well, its still up there in the freezer untouched.
So I'll get in trouble for forgetting to share it with everyone, and in truoble for leaving it there. ha!

Well, tomorrow starts a plethora of appointments. So here we go. This is it. 2 days.
Wow.

I checked the 10 day forecast for Abilene earlier, and on a whim decided I'd check and see what we were going to be in for in England.
Wow. WOW. wow.
Not sure if I'm glad or what. I mean sure...as I'm sitting in a room burning up and the high is 101 tomorrow, in England its in the 70's all week while its near 100 or above all week here. Hmmmm.... yeah but how will it be in the winter?

At any rate, all I can say is, "here goes nothin" and get ready to do this thing. I'll be giddy when we get there house hunting and decorating. So that is at least something to look forward to.

Love to all, we'll miss each and everyone of you! Very much, but we'll be home and still the same as we are now, just a little mroe traveled, a little thinner (for a couple of us) and a little taller and talkative.

No comments: