Nearly there....

Friday, July 18, 2008

The day is upon us...

Well, I have not posted an update simply b/c I couldn't find the darn pics I had taken specifically documenting our move. Well, you know what it looks like to move. I certainly didn't know what it looked like to have someone move FOR me though. That was sheer madness when the packers came. Wow. They sent in 4 women to pack and they were like tornadoes through here.
They got it all packed, of COURSE my office took the longest and the next day they sent over 4 guys to move it all out and put it in huge wooden crates and off it went.
Luckily the boys were fantastic through all of that, shocking I know! So it went off without a hitch.
They took our big shipment on the 26th of June and then came back on the 8th of this month and took our linens and some other smaller items. Including my precious desktop computer. Mike said they only put it in cardboard though...I'm so scared. Hopefully they gave it its own seat on the plane and strapped in it nice and secure. That's how I'd do it if it were me anyway. :)

Now here we sit, as we've survived with no bed, no dishes, very few toys and no trampoline. We were reduced to sleeping on an air mattress but by the grace of our dear friends Ronnie and Missy they had a spare mattress, so we've been kickin it on a mattress on the floor. Hey it WAY beat the pants off that joke they call a temporary bed. I slept on it ONCE and moved to the recliner and Mike was trying to be a trooper. Oh it sucked!
It was like heaven the first night we got to snooze on a REAL mattress again. What a couple of weenies we are in our old age, about to die after 2 whole nights with an air mattress that wouldn't hold air. ha!
The boys really have taken things in stride though, I'm very proud of them. Its just now really starting to show that things are really "off" for them. I know it will only get so much worse though. Seriously how on earth do you get a KID used to such an enormous time difference? Ah well, I'm up for the challenge! What else do I have to do anyway?
Personally I'm really missing my gigantic cushy bed and I can NOT wait to get the boys set up with their new bedrooms.
Cody said he was very excited about getting his new big boy bed and Kade is really thrilled he'll have a "bunk bed" of sorts.

This particular time though, we are all feeling pretty bitter sweet. We are VERY excited about going. Kade even tells us every day, "Hey you know what?" we say, "What?" he says, "We're going to ENGLAND!".
Granted, I doubt he could come close to grasping the concept here, but he helped me re-pack his suitcase, after he'd pulled all the clothes out and did his, "hey you know what" bit. So who knows? I've started ttelling him now and I know he just won't get it until way later. That when we are in England, we can't just go see Granny or Ben or Shea whenever he wants to. That we'll be far far away and it costs a lot of money to come back home, but we will as often as we possibly can.

So as usual, our lives are in limbo, but its nearly there. Its almost time to move on to phase 2.

I think the greatest news we've gotten yet is that there was another flight missing from our original itenerary. So we will NOT be flying straight out of Dallas at 1pm. PHEW! Luckily we go from Abilene, to Dallas to Chicago to London. Now, most would perhaps not want all those changes and layovers, however I'm totally fine with it. Well...the rap that O'Hare gets is not so great on the flight delays but we'll just take it as it comes. So the Abilene to Dallas flight will just be fun to the boys I'm sure. At DFW we'll try to find some sort of play place or just let the boys run around like wild banshees as they are so good at to burn off some energy. Then when we pull out of there at 1pm, well golly that's just nap time, grand huh?
From there we have our layover in Chicago and will again try to find some place for the kids to go wild as long as we can, grab a bite to eat and perhaps even change into some comfy clothes for the long haul. We leave Chicago just short of bedtime. So for that, I am SOOOOOO grateful! You just can't have any idea. The thing I've been most stressed about was not the move, not living without our things, out of base temp. housing, or trying to find a new home or vehicle when we get there. The ONLY thing that has had me totally freaked out was the flight over there b/c some FOOL apparently has no small children and just wanted to torture us and the other 200 people stuck around us for 9 hours straight by giving us an Internation flight at 1pm. Aaaaah.... man I can so relax now.
So, personally, my biggest fear now is that I'll do a poor job packing all of our carry on. I HATE the security lines. I always feel like people are going to come beat me down b/c I take too long getting my damn shoes back on or something. Two small kids in tow, carseats, 4 carry on bags and 2 grown ups. Oy.
We all know what my carry on consists of anyway and its not snacks, diapers or coloring books. My 3rd baby the --- my camera and laptop. :)

My other enormous fear is that we won't get to see people before we leave, which isn't really just a fear but a reality. This move came on SO fast, we had little notice at all that its really had us beyond busy since we found out. I hate that. So I have that awful sick feeling I'm forgetting something monumental when I am sure its just a lack of TIME. I really do wish we could've gotten a good bit more notice like most people do, but that might have gotten on my nerves too. That lovely feeling of impending WAITING that the military LOVES to dish out so often.
I'm a pretty good military wife in every aspect but THAT. Crap up in the air is enough to drive me batty in no time.

Speaking of military, if you have not heard, a HUGE congrats to my sweetie. He made Msgt!!!! Huge accomplishment for him! I knew he'd make it, but Mr. Poses as an Optimist but is really a Pessimist was too worried to hope. So he'll put that new stripe on probably sometime just after the first of the year. Yay!

At any rate, this is our update. I will, I will, I WILL keep this up to date. Even if I don't have pictures (gasp!) readily available. I can always come back and add them later! :)
I'm done chit chatting on my biz blog anyway. No one is listening anyway. haha. Kind of like here....

4 more days and Adios Tejas.
I really love Texas. Been trying to soak up every bit of the scenery I can. Good thing Tracy was driving on the way to and from Austin for the most part. I'd have driven us off the road numerous times soaking up the beauty of this place.
*sigh*
So many people and things I'll miss. So many new experiences and things we'd have never had otherwise to come...

Until then....

No comments: