Nearly there....

Monday, January 2, 2012

Another year

Another year has come and gone. What have I really done with it? Well...overall I think 2011 has been a pretty low key year. We started the year off in Texas having gotten the opportunity to spend some time with family and friends.
We came into this year knowing it was going to be one of BIG decisions. Big decisions from 2011 have already laid out a ton of enormous changes to come for our family this year. Mike is set to retire in a VERY short time, upon his retirement, obviously we will be leaving England and heading back to the good old U.S. of A. Where exactly in the USA we will end up is still very much up in the air. No matter where it is, knowing that we can visit friends and family by a simple road trip is far better than what we can do now.
We worried over it quite a bit for a little while, but we've decided that we are just going to go with the flow. No matter where we go, we'll be together. That's all that we are concerned with. :)

As it is, every year I try to make a change. Not so much a resolution...but just a change. Sometimes it is a big one, sometimes it may consist of several. I kind of like the idea of a change a month as I did back in 09. I felt a lot more accomplished and I think I gave myself a lot more to be proud of.
(That would be the year I quit smoking, drinking Dr. Pepper AND eating reese's cups. No it does not add up to 12, I did other things as well but those are all THREE equally as big actually! LOL).
Oh but you see so many folks going on about how they are tired of hearing all the resolutions. For starters...I don't NOT make a change b/c I'm waiting on the New Year, if it needs making I make it. It's just fun to use it as a bump at yourself every once in awhile.
If you are wondering though....I'm still quit smoking, drinking dr. pepper and eating reese's cups. So know that when I make a decision, I generally stick to it. ;)

This year will be no different. Those were things I did for myself. This year though... this year has a theme all its own. I've thought about this one for a bit now and I finally figured it all out. ;) I have yet to really be able to find a word that might fit it appropriately but for the year of 2012 I will change how I give. I know the basis of what I'm after, but the way to truly describe it really escapes me.
Mostly it is based on telling people how I feel. Through speaking with my dr over time, I began to realize that I have become somewhat unaffectionate. Which is really sad as I used to be very affectionate. I am to my kids, there is no doubt of that in any way. I began noticing it though, as I realized that I was uncomfortable even receiving much of a hug from my own husband. As time went on, and this began to nag at me more and more....I started thinking about all the people that I am so blessed to have loving me.
How I shy away from a good well meant embrace. How an arm around my shoulders often makes me cringe on the inside and I feel my body language tense up and instantly try to retreat as quickly as possible.
Even saying "I love you" to anyone beyond my own kids and husband has begun to feel so foreign. Even in text! This is simply unacceptable. it is not me, it is not who I am nor who I want to be. GRANTED... I don't want to be some sappy bawl bag running around hugging everyone.
I have no way of pin-pointing what it is that has caused this decline in spreading my boobie squishes to the masses, but whatever it is, I'll take back over as necessary. :) No doubt.

However, that's still not really the gist of what I'm after. No, basically...I want to make sure that people know how I feel about them. Um, okay correction, I should say I want to make sure that people I LIKE/LOVE know how I feel about them on good terms. Obviously I have no problem stating how I feel when I'm not all that happy with something/someone.

I have already had it happen numerous times, where someone left this world without me at least having done them the favor of letting them know just how special they were to me and what an impact they had on me. Everyone has an impact on me, it's just a matter of how big or small it is I suppose.
So for the year of 2012 I want to change the fact, that I seem to have developed some odd fear to telling people how special they are and making sure they see the gift they share with every person that comes in contact with them and how that snowballs to countless others.

I am not sure if it will be monthly or weekly or which. I just know, that I will let those nearest and dearest and maybe even a few people I've hardly met.... know just how special they are to me.
What party they h ave ultimately played in MY life. We rarely see or are told just how it is, we affect someone...I think it is important to know, just how important you are to someone. Be it friend or family or total stranger. :)

Telling someone that you love them, could very well make their day. Why not give it a try? We'll see who's up first by the end of the week! :)

I hope that everyone had a fabulous and safe New Year if you were out partaking in the festivities! This is going to be a year of HUGE changes!!

No comments: